[E-voting] [a.oostveen@rathenau.nl: BREAKING NEWS]

Craig Burton caburt at alphalink.com.au
Mon Nov 6 09:28:19 GMT 2006

In all cases, it is good that WeHateVotingComputers also cite
solutions.  They say Tempest observation can be made a lot harder by the
display rendering a persistent character or cursor to the right of the
display.  If you cite solutions then there really is very little the
providers can say along the lines of  "defending against Tempest is out
of scope".  It also sets a path for mediation.  In the Dutch case,
Ministry of the Interior will force a mod to the machines as a precedent
(albeit a theoretical one) is there.
The same was true for Dutch Ministry of Interior specifications for
remote Internet voting (called, KOA, put to RFT in 2004) which required
a program-proved solution.  This is the first case of program-proving I
have seen in e-voting software.
It also needs to be a requirement for e-voting machines as PVVAT will
always be hard to justify for parallel count in more than a few % of
poll stations.