[E-voting] [a.oostveen@rathenau.nl: BREAKING NEWS]

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Mon Nov 6 10:14:01 GMT 2006

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 08:28:19PM +1100, Craig Burton wrote:
> In all cases, it is good that WeHateVotingComputers also cite
> solutions.  They say Tempest observation can be made a lot harder by
> the display rendering a persistent character or cursor to the right of
> the display.  If you cite solutions then there really is very little
> the providers can say along the lines of  "defending against Tempest
> is out of scope".  It also sets a path for mediation.  In the Dutch
> case, Ministry of the Interior will force a mod to the machines as a
> precedent (albeit a theoretical one) is there.

It looks like at least 2, and possibly 3, changes are being made;

	1. Their modifying the candidate lists to remove certain
	   characters and change how things are displayed, which
	   will have an impact.

	2. They're adding more shielding (I think this is some ferrites
	   around the cable bundle connecting the LCD), which apparantly cuts
	   the vurlnerable distance from 25m to 5m.

	3. There is speculation that they are installing jammers too,
	   which will emit EM noise on the same frequencies.

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net