[E-voting] encryption compromised by hardware

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Mon Nov 20 17:34:06 GMT 2006

Patrick J Kobly wrote:
> This is the huge assumption made by most cryptographers developing
> crypto-protocols for reliable e-voting.  The assumption is that the
> system the user interacts with acts as a faithful agent of the user
> with respect to encrypting, recording and displaying vote data.
> Thompson talks about why this assumption cannot be made (and in
> general any proof is illusory).

Well, that is not true with respect to the  crypto based systems which I
have looked at.
For example, David Chaum's system based on visual encryption
(http://theory.lcs.mit.edu/~rivest/voting/papers/Chaum-SecretBallotReceiptsTrueVoterVerifiableElections.pdf)

There are certain practical issues with this system, but it
categorically does not depend on the system acting
as a faithful agent of the user with respect to encrypting, recording or
displaying vote data.

Chaum has come up with another system more recently
(http://www.punchscan.org) which apparently
addresses some of the usability issues with his previous one. I haven't
looked at it yet, so I can't comment on it.

Michael