[E-voting] Paper seals on EEPROMs?

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Thu Oct 5 19:13:09 IST 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 05:48:20PM +0100, Justin Mason wrote:

> Ryan Meade writes:
> > I've heard a suggestion that the Irish machines have "paper seals" on
> > the eeproms as a security measure against this type of attack.  Does
> > anybody know anything about this?
>
> I can't recall hearing about it on the EEPROMs, but the paper does note
> that a trivially-avoidable paper "seal" appears in German models on the
> interior of the case, and
> http://lists.stdlib.net/pipermail/e-voting/2005-April/004912.html refers
> to the CEV First Report discussing "seal" stickers on the outside.

CEV First Report, Appendix 2C, section 11, p. 189;

"The Programming/Reading Unit seals peeled back easily without damage.
Inside, the system is composed of some standard EPROMs and a 68000
computer with standard 7400H TTL logic.  The seals on the voting machine
peeled back equally easily.  Four Philips head screws had to be removed.
The voting machine uses the same circuit board as the
Programming/Reading Unit, only with different peripherals plugged into
the numerous (11!) connectors."

And, for background on seals and their general ineffecacy, it's hard to
beat Ross Anderson;

         http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/Papers/SE-12.pdf

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net