[E-voting] Nedap voting machines successfully hacked

Adrian Colley aecolley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 20:44:12 IST 2006

On 10/4/06, Colm MacCarthaigh <colm at stdlib.net> wrote:
> Two weeks ago, I went to meet with the Dutch anti e-voting group;
>         http://www.wijvertrouwenstemcomputersniet.nl/

Wow, I should read my email more often.  That's wonderful news and
more terrific work by Colm.  I wish I could have helped.

I'm especially impressed by our Dutch friends' work on compromising
emanations.  "Through the audio path of a scanner, we can make out
clear differences for different candidates. [...] However: we can
easily profile all the bursts for the various candidates and simply
match the received signal to all known candidates."

My favourite quote is in the section on tamper-evident seals: "we
believe it's significant to notice a pattern here: tell Nedap they
need to incorporate a lock and they pick the cheapest lock imaginable,
tell them to put a seal on it and they laser print their company logo
on some paper labels."

 --Adrian.