[E-voting] Paper seals on EEPROMs?

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Thu Oct 5 20:53:26 IST 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 08:46:22PM +0100, Dr J Pelan wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
>
> > "The Programming/Reading Unit seals peeled back easily without damage.
> > Inside, the system is composed of some standard EPROMs and a 68000
> > computer with standard 7400H TTL logic.
>
> Please note the distinction between the EPROMs (holding the software) and
> the EEPROMs (holding data, 'votes' etc). Colm's photo shows EPROMs.

The Dutch group have compromised both, but the main focus is on the
EPROM's since that's a much more fun attack :-) Some confusion there is
likely my fault.

> Incidently, do the EPROMs ship with their UV windows covered and is that
> part of the machine light-tight ? Perhaps the seal, if any, doubles up as
> a cover for the UV window. If not, this opens yet another attack route -
> albeit a highly coarse one.

That part of the machine is light-tight when in operation, yes. There's
no seal at all on the EPROM's in the Dutch voting machines, I'm pretty
sure that's the case in Ireland too. There is a seal on the cover which
needs to be opened to access the motherboard and ballot modules, and in
Ireland there is also a seal for the ballot modules.

> All entirely irrelevant of course, doesn't matter what's in there because
> without VVAT it might as well be a second-hand Amiga 500. Oh, wait...

Oh, there are efforts under way to get MacOS < 8 running :-)

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net