[E-voting] Nedap voting machines successfully hacked

Dr J Pelan J.Pelan at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Oct 5 21:06:52 IST 2006

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Adrian Colley wrote:

> I'm especially impressed by our Dutch friends' work on compromising
> emanations.  "Through the audio path of a scanner, we can make out clear
> differences for different candidates. [...] However: we can easily
> profile all the bursts for the various candidates and simply match the
> received signal to all known candidates."

There is some irony given that it was a Dutchman that published the first
papers on the practical aspects of eavesdropping on incidental EM
emanations - namely Wim van Eck.

I seem to recall at least one person on this list suggested van Eck
radiation testing. Googling through the archives we find that it was a
certain Mr Adrian Colley, no less! So well done ;-)

--
John P.