Belgium [was Re: [E-voting] Nedap voting machines successfully hacked]

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Sat Oct 7 00:52:36 IST 2006

I was in Liege last week for a few days.  On my last day there I was
given a lift to the train station by a man who, it turns out, is one of
the candidates in the upcoming local elections.

He seemed like someone I might want to vote for, if I had a vote in
Belgium.  I brought up the electronic voting issue, curious to see what
his attitude was.  He didn't know anything about it and was unconcerned
because they'd been using these computers for about 10 years.  Then he
said, half joking but half seriously,  that his party was in the
majority in his area, so if the elections were rigged maybe it probably
wouldn't hurt him.  He didn't seem the least bit interested in knowing more.

What a disappointing attitude.

Catherine