[E-voting] Nedap machine software updates

John Lambe jlambe at johnlambe.com
Mon Oct 9 16:33:02 IST 2006

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 17:32:15 +0100, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
>They can't, because the code is changed slightly for each election,
>depends on the candidates and so on.

I thought I read somewhere that the candidate list was held in the ballot
module, programmed with these details (maybe from the counting software) before
the election.
I could be wrong.
This would seem like a more efficient approach anyway, since the ballot module
has to be insterted into the voting machine anyway and inserting it would be
quicker to do than removing and inserting an EPROM in a DIL socket (if that's
what it is).

I wonder whether Nedap supplies regular updates of the software, and if so, what
is changed in it (has there been bug fixes?). (Though I have NOT heard any
indications that their software development is sloppy, as appears to be the
case with PowerVote.)
Does anyone know?

John Lambe
Phone: 086-2895286