[E-voting] E-voting machines to be used in 2009 despite warnings

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Tue Oct 17 14:19:19 IST 2006

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 07:54:02AM -0400, Aengus Lawlor wrote:
> "I'm not going to scrap them - we've actually paid good Irish taxpayers'
> money for them and I don't think there's any point of throwing them on the
> scrap-heap when you can store them and correct them."
>
> Still trying to solve the wrong problem :-(

A lot of this is just completely cynical politiking. As much as the
minister may be saying this, we know that the material changes called
for in the report are not cheap, and also confidence in the machines in
real terms, is very very low, and it will be pretty easy for us to bring
it still lower - we have actual truth on our side.

Nevertheless, I think it's time to start strategising. We have two years
on this one, but it's a potentially sticky mess of a problem. I think we
need to start looking seriously at reviving the prospects of a
constitutional challenge. At the very least, having one researched and
prepared gives us a pretty big bat to swing later on, though fundraising
is a complete nightmare (estimated cost - 200k min, nice).

Digital Rights Ireland, a group of which I'm a director, may be able to
help out here, though we're stretched a bit thin with our own legal
challenge right now.

My understanding of these things is that our next step would probably be
to write to the minister (a solicitors letter would probably have the
most effect) saying that while we object not a tat to the machines being
used, if they are used without a VVAT - which gets counted - we intend
to challenge the minister, and to ask him to keep us advised of any
developments and decisions and to make such a decision in a timely
manner, far out from an election so that these important consitutional
matters can be drawn out a time least condusive to chaos.

This would be quite a different role for ICTE, so input welcome, I
may well be crazy :-)

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net