[E-voting] E-voting machines to be used in 2009 despite warnings

Aengus Lawlor aengusl at eircom.net
Tue Oct 17 21:13:35 IST 2006

On Tuesday, October 17, 2006 3:24 PM [EDT],
Fergal Daly <fergal at esatclear.ie> wrote:

> Interesting quote
>
>> The Government had estimated that electronic voting and counting
>> would make nationwide staff reductions of 1,200.
>
> This sounds like something that we could probe. Either a PQ for the
> details of this estimate or an FOI request,

The last time someone tried to get this information in a PQ, the evaded the
question by saying that he hadn't received the accounts from the Returning
officers yet.

I presume the Returning Officers are covered under FoI rules? It would be
particularly useful to get the numbers (either headcount or cost) for Meath
for the May 2002 and the June 1997 elections as the constituency didn't
change substantially, and the Returning officer for Meath wasn't responsible
for a mix of electronic and manual counts, as the Dublin Returning Officer
was.

Aengus