Re: [E-voting] Questions in Dáil

Aengus Lawlor aengusl at eircom.net
Tue Oct 17 22:49:33 IST 2006

On Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:42 PM [EDT],
Michael McMahon <michael at hexmedia.com> wrote:

> Bertie also said something about "thousands of votes in our elections
> that are not stamped".
> Is it really the case that thousands of votes are not stamped?
> Is he misleading the Dail here with this???
> There may be thousands of votes spoiled by voters, but not stamped,
> implies being disenfranchised by the state.

According to a document that Karen Devine got from the Department, 9% of the
spoiled votes in the 2002 General Election fell into the gategory of "does
not bear the official mark". That's about 2,000, or .09% of all the votes
cast. (20,707 spoiled votes in total).

http://lists.stdlib.net./pipermail/e-voting/2004-February/002093.html

Aengus