[E-voting] Questions in Dáil

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Tue Oct 17 23:47:38 IST 2006

Aengus Lawlor wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:42 PM [EDT],
> Michael McMahon <michael at hexmedia.com> wrote:
>
>> Bertie also said something about "thousands of votes in our elections
>> that are not stamped".
>> Is it really the case that thousands of votes are not stamped?
>> Is he misleading the Dail here with this???
>> There may be thousands of votes spoiled by voters, but not stamped,
>> implies being disenfranchised by the state.
>
> According to a document that Karen Devine got from the Department, 9%
> of the spoiled votes in the 2002 General Election fell into the
> gategory of "does not bear the official mark". That's about 2,000, or
> .09% of all the votes cast. (20,707 spoiled votes in total).

Thanks for that. So, all this fuss over .09% of all votes cast.

Unstamped votes are a genuine concern, but I suspect that if the law
were changed giving discretion to the returning officer to decide
on the authenticity of ballots would fix the vast majority of cases,
where a ballot is only partially stamped, but is pretty clear that the
official
stamp was used.

- Michael.