[E-voting] An aside - why Bertie hates pencils

Dr J Pelan J.Pelan at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Oct 18 13:33:04 IST 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Casey, Dermot (GE Money) wrote:

> I heard Berties diatribe against Pencils last night on the radio.

I suspect he was traumatised by a pencil as a child. I can easily envisage
him being jabbed with a freshly sharpened HB, but maybe that's just me.

If An Taoiseach is so dead against these infernal implements perhaps he
should be consistent and ban the use of pens and pencils in the
Oireachtas? In the future, children may be told about the legend of St
Bertie - "the man who rid Ireland of pencils" - and quite possibly
transparent, accountable elections too.

--
John P.