[E-voting] (draft) ICTE REITERATE DEMAND FOR INDEPENDENT ELECTORAL COMMISSION

Margaret McGaley mmcgaley at cs.nuim.ie
Wed Oct 25 13:30:24 IST 2006

Anyone anything to add? I was thinking of mentioning the Canadian links ...

-----------

ICTE today renewed demands for the creation of an independent electoral
commission. "Our electoral system is too important to be used as a
political football. All decisions about its future should immediately be
put in the hands of a permanent commission, as is considered best
practice by the Council of Europe [1]." said Margaret McGaley.

Dermot Casey continued: "Given the obviously politicising of the
e-voting issues and the ongoing difficulties with the e-voting machines
purchased by the State, ICTE are issuing an urgent demand for the
creation of an independent electoral commission to ensure the integrity
of the Irish Electoral process before it consigned to the scrapheap of
political expediency."

[1]
Code of Good Practice in Electoral Matters (Venice Commission)
    http://www.venice.coe.int/docs/2002/CDL-AD(2002)023rev-e.asp