[E-voting] (draft) ICTE REITERATE DEMAND FOR INDEPENDENT ELECTORAL COMMISSION

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Wed Oct 25 13:41:26 IST 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 01:30:24PM +0100, Margaret McGaley wrote:
> Anyone anything to add? I was thinking of mentioning the Canadian links ...
>
> -----------
>
> ICTE today renewed demands for the creation of an independent electoral
> commission. "Our electoral system is too important to be used as a
> political football. All decisions about its future should immediately be
> put in the hands of a permanent commission, as is considered best
> practice by the Council of Europe [1]." said Margaret McGaley.

Not sure I'd use the word "immediately" :-)

> Dermot Casey continued: "Given the obviously politicising of the
> e-voting issues and the ongoing difficulties with the e-voting machines
> purchased by the State, ICTE are issuing an urgent demand for the
> creation of an independent electoral commission to ensure the integrity
> of the Irish Electoral process before it consigned to the scrapheap of
> political expediency."

Maybe add a paragraph pointing out that the Government are presently not
approaching the situation rationally. There is no cost-benefit analysis,
the Government is making commitments to use before even costing anything
(the international panel is being set up), the central issue - VVAT -
remains unexamined but that the commission in section 5.2 of the 2nd
report (C10) concluded that the electronic record was not subject to
meaningful audit.

I guess we have to be a bit wary of it looking like we didn't get what
we'd like in the commissions report, and  are now crying over it. We
need to ensure that we bring home what is actually in the detail of the
report, that it is the Government who should be unhappy with its
content. The more we cite that the better, I think.

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net