[E-voting] (draft) ICTE REITERATE DEMAND FOR INDEPENDENT ELECTORAL COMMISSION

Margaret McGaley mmcgaley at cs.nuim.ie
Wed Oct 25 14:02:24 IST 2006

Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 01:30:24PM +0100, Margaret McGaley wrote:
>
>> Anyone anything to add? I was thinking of mentioning the Canadian links ...
>>
>> -----------
>>
>> ICTE today renewed demands for the creation of an independent electoral
>> commission. "Our electoral system is too important to be used as a
>> political football. All decisions about its future should immediately be
>> put in the hands of a permanent commission, as is considered best
>> practice by the Council of Europe [1]." said Margaret McGaley.
>>

> Not sure I'd use the word "immediately" :-)

Heh, I actually pondered other ways of saying it, but phrases like "as
soon as possible" would wreck the flow of the sentence. How about
'promptly' or 'without delay'?

>> Dermot Casey continued: "Given the obviously politicising of the
>> e-voting issues and the ongoing difficulties with the e-voting machines
>> purchased by the State, ICTE are issuing an urgent demand for the
>> creation of an independent electoral commission to ensure the integrity
>> of the Irish Electoral process before it consigned to the scrapheap of
>> political expediency."
>>

> Maybe add a paragraph pointing out that the Government are presently not
> approaching the situation rationally. There is no cost-benefit analysis,
> the Government is making commitments to use before even costing anything
> (the international panel is being set up), the central issue - VVAT -
> remains unexamined but that the commission in section 5.2 of the 2nd
> report (C10) concluded that the electronic record was not subject to
> meaningful audit.
>
> I guess we have to be a bit wary of it looking like we didn't get what
> we'd like in the commissions report, and  are now crying over it. We
> need to ensure that we bring home what is actually in the detail of the
> report, that it is the Government who should be unhappy with its
> content. The more we cite that the better, I think.

"An independent commission would be able to make decisions that are in
the best interest of Irish citizens, without being concerned about
political fallout. The Government are presently not approaching the
situation rationally. There is no cost-benefit analysis; the Government
is making commitments to use the system before even costing anything;
the central issue - VVAT (voter verified audit trail) - remains
unexamined despite the CEV's finding that the electronic record was not
subject to meaningful audit. They went as far as to say that the paper
system is superior to the electronic system because the latter has no
VVAT. [2]" said Colm MacCarthaigh.

[2] in section 5.2 of the CEV's 2nd report (C10)