[E-voting] E-voting machines to be used in UK

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Oct 25 14:24:19 IST 2006

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 13:30, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:

> > > An analogy with postal voting, which is already disastrous in the UK,
> > > suffices as the risks of personation, vote-selling, intimidation and
> > > secrecy are just the same.
> >
> > In what way is postal voting "disastrous" in the UK?
> > Exaggeration, in my view, is counter-productive.
>
> They've had huge fraud investigations (Bradford being the largest
> examples) and arrests;
>
> 	http://postalvoting.blogspot.com/
>
> I think "disastrous" is too kind a term, personally.

I don't think "25 investigations in 19 constituencies" is a "disaster".
It seems to me to show the system is being properly policed.

In any case, in my view it would be a mistake for ICTE
to start attacking postal votes,
which are essential in many cases if people are not to be dis-enfranchized.

Do you actually want people to be taken in wheelchairs
(or more likely, not taken)
to remote halls on wet and windy days?

--
Timothy Murphy