[E-voting] E-voting machines to be used in UK

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Oct 25 14:29:42 IST 2006

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 13:54, Dr J Pelan wrote:

> > To my mind, one of the most cogent arguments in the UK was the study by
> > the Electoral Reform Society which showed that electronic voting did not
> > increase voting numbers, and in fact had a small negative influence.
>
> The ERS report was in regard to turnout and I don't see its relevance in
> this context of security and probity. It is also not entirely meaningful,
> suffering as it does from novelty and other effects which only a long-term
> study over a number of successive local and national elections could
> exclude. In my opinion, turnout rests on political engagement, not voting
> technology.

Which is exactly what the ERS study showed.

Its relevance is that electronic voting was put forward
as an antidote to falling voter turnout.
If in fact it had showed (as was expected)
that e-voting increased the turnout significantly,
this would have been a very powerful argument in most people's eyes.

With respect, your opinion is just that;
a proper study is something different.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366