[E-voting] E-voting machines to be used in UK

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Wed Oct 25 14:48:34 IST 2006

Postal votes are vulnerable to fraud at numerous points.  They demand
rigourous procedures and meticulous chain of custory documentation.  So
far the UK has not demonstrated this rigour.  The known problems cannot
be assumed to be the only instances of irregularities.

Like electronic voting, you release your vote into a system that for all
practical purposes cannot be observed in an end-to-end manner, and
vested interests can intervene at many stages of the process.

While ICTE may choose not to have an official opinion on postal voting,
experience in the UK and USA shows that people are only starting to wake
up to the realities of the potential problems.  I cannot encourage wider
use of postal voting for the same fundamental reasons that I cannot
encourage electronic voting.  It is not possible to observe the
process.  Without transparency and processes that can be observed by any
ordinary person, we have no grounds for belief or trust.  Elections
should use observable procedures that do not require anyone to rely on
trust.

Catherine