[E-voting] Canada - plug pulled on electronic voting

Patrick J Kobly patrick at kobly.com
Wed Oct 25 16:04:16 IST 2006

Thanks,

I gotta say, it's good to see this.  If anybody needs a translation of
individual sections of the report (only released in French, let me
know).  Incidentally, the Pierre Bourque mentioned is not
http://www.bourque.com

Important links:
Technology and the Voting Process
http://www.elections.ca/content.asp?section=loi&document=index&dir=vot&lang=e&textonly=false

The Canadian context is probably really important for advocates around
the world, as Canada proves that federal elections can be administered
with purely precinct-counted paper ballots in a first-world country.  In
particular, Canada is geographically the 2nd largest country in the
world, with the 36th largest population.  This means, of course, that
the low population density (1/18 the density of Ireland) makes the
administration of paper elections more difficult than in other
countries.  The government is a federal constitutional monarchy, though,
so comparisons of election administration with republics must be
tempered with an understanding of the differing contexts.

It should be noted that there is some push at the federal level
(particularly from the youth wings of a few parties) to adopt
electronic-voting (and develop internet-voting), due to perceived
successes of municipal elections (and general faith in technology).  It
would be really unfortunate, both for Canada and the rest of the world,
were these efforts to gain traction.  We would lose a shining star in
election administration which we can effectively use to oppose the use
of e-voting elsewhere.

If anybody has questions about the Canadian electoral context, including:
- Electoral financing
- Electoral mechanics
- Government lifecycle

Let me know.  I'll do my best to answer.

PK