[E-voting] (draft) ICTE REITERATE DEMAND FOR INDEPENDENT ELECTORALCOMMISSION

Aengus Lawlor aengusl at eircom.net
Thu Oct 26 01:04:09 IST 2006

On Wednesday, October 25, 2006 9:01 AM [EDT],
Dr J Pelan <J.Pelan at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Margaret McGaley wrote:
>
>> ICTE today renewed demands for the creation of an independent
>> electoral commission.
>
> I'd qualify this. The UK's independent electoral commission sounds
> great and it does great work but its remit is determined entirely by
> the Government. It cannot instigate an arbitrary study or make any
> recommendation off its own bat. The danger might be, as with the CEV,
> you get an independent commission which cannot stray off its leash.

One of our concerns about the CEV when it was originally set up was that
it's narrow terms of reference prevented it from properly addressing the
issue of VVAT.

Did the CEV itself every address the effect that such narrow terms of
reference had on it's work? It is vitally important that any Independent
Electoral Commission not be hampered in this way, so it is important to
highlight the fact that the Government effectively shackled the CEV from the
beginning.

Aengus