[E-voting] Appeals to the Information Commisioner - progress and obstacles

Ciaran Quinn election at polarbears.com
Mon Oct 30 12:11:49 GMT 2006

Joe McCarthy wrote:

> I have seven appeals running with the Information Commissioner since
> 2003 and I received the first decision from her on 10th October.  She
> found in my favour on all 7 records relating to release of tally
> data.  I will post this information on fiasco.ie when I receive it.
>
> But I also received the attached letter from her.  Two similar letters
> re case 040103 and case 031018 also arrived.
>
> Her Investigator is now suggesting that Section 23 of the FoI Act will
> be applied to prevent me getting various records because "/access
> could reasonably be expected to facilitate the commission of an
> offence/".  The offence in question is to "/wilfully and without
> authority interfere with any voting system equipment/".
No reasonable person expects the Nedap/Powervote system to be used in
Ireland again. Therefore, releasing access to information cannot
reasonably be expected to facilitate interference with voting system
equipment. The Nedap/Powervote machines stored in warehouses around the
country are now antique, historical artefacts.

As others have pointed out, if the information could be used to hack the
system then NOT releasing the information could facilitate interfering
with the voting system equipment by corrupt election officials. For
example, if it was discovered that there was a secret opening in some
ballot boxes whereby someone could bypass the seals and change the
votes, it would be important to make this information public so that
these ballot boxes were not used in elections.

Given that curruption has previously reached the highest levels of the
Dept. of the Environment, with a former minister being pronounced
officially corrupt by a judicial tribunal, it is clearly in the public
interest that any information which could be used to corrupt the
election process be released to the public

Ciaran