[E-voting] Diminished public confidence in the Nedap / Powervote system - CEV said extremely difficult to overcome

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Fri Sep 1 10:53:01 IST 2006

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 10:36:42AM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> > 	2. The commission have deliberately chosen to bury the VVAT
> > 	issue.
>
> Let's be fair here.  The CEV - quite deliberately and through no fault
> of their own - did not have a mandate to deal with the VVAT issue.

No, I simply don't accept that any more as a viable excuse. It's plainly
within their remit now (a comparison with the paper system), was
explicitly mentioned in the overwhelming majority of submissions to the
commission, and is also certainly the central issue.

If they can see enough leeway in their position to focus their language
with such one-sidedness, I believe that they could certainly find the
leeway to cover VVAT more explicitly if they so chose. They clearly
decided to examine the issue, the report makes that clear.

But more importantly, by seemingly being to willing to rigidly interpret
their remit, the Commission is doing a disservice to democracy. They are
in a unique position of trust in this respect. They are entirely at
liberty make a final report, disband, and stop wasting our money.

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net