[E-voting] Diminished public confidence in the Nedap / Powervote system - CEV said extremely difficult to overcome

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Fri Sep 1 11:29:12 IST 2006

Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 10:36:42AM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
>
>>> 	2. The commission have deliberately chosen to bury the VVAT
>>> 	issue.
>>>
>> Let's be fair here.  The CEV - quite deliberately and through no fault
>> of their own - did not have a mandate to deal with the VVAT issue.
>>

> No, I simply don't accept that any more as a viable excuse. It's plainly
> within their remit now (a comparison with the paper system), was
> explicitly mentioned in the overwhelming majority of submissions to the
> commission, and is also certainly the central issue.

Exactly. A commission that is set up to study some problem without
evaluating the most
widely recommended solution to the problem, is just an absurd academic
exercise, and
a major waste of money.
> If they can see enough leeway in their position to focus their language
> with such one-sidedness, I believe that they could certainly find the
> leeway to cover VVAT more explicitly if they so chose. They clearly
> decided to examine the issue, the report makes that clear.
>
> But more importantly, by seemingly being to willing to rigidly interpret
> their remit, the Commission is doing a disservice to democracy. They are
> in a unique position of trust in this respect. They are entirely at
> liberty make a final report, disband, and stop wasting our money.

I think they regard this as their final report. It says so in section
1.3, (unless they are requested
by the Oireachtas to make further reports)

Michael