[E-voting] Bertie: Lack of e-voting a disgrace

Aengus Lawlor aengusl at eircom.net
Wed Apr 25 11:58:28 IST 2007

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0425/voting.html

Lack of e-voting a disgrace, says Ahern
Wednesday, 25 April 2007 11:51

The Taoiseach has told the Dáil he was embarrassed by the fact the we did
not have an electronic voting system when he watched the French election
results come in within two hours.

He said he apologised to the people of Meath where he had been visiting at
the time, and said in a technologically advanced country we were going back
to the 'peann luaidhe'.

Mr Ahern said that with 'a bit of luck' our election would be finished
within five days.

The Taoiseach blamed the Opposition for the electronic voting machines lying
unused and said if they had not played politics with the issue we would not
be the laughing stock of Europe.

He said if they had taken a mature attitude to a voting system which had
worked, we would have electronic voting and it was a disgrace.

Labour Party leader, Pat Rabbitte criticised the €62m overspend on
electronic voting machines.
He said this Government had presided over huge waste and the Comptroller and
Auditor General had estimated that the cost of storing these machines was
about €1m a year.