[E-voting] Many electronic voting machines decertified in California

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Sat Aug 4 11:37:27 IST 2007

I had numerous interruptions while writing that last post so I thought I
should clarify.  Before midnight last night California SOS Debra Bowen
de-certified all of California's electronic voting systems, including
DREs and scanners.  Re-certification of some will only be possible with
new tight restrictions.  DREs will only be allowed for disabled voters,
1 machine per precinct, with a paper trail, and with 100% audit of the
paper trail.  Scanners will only be recertified if new conditions are met.

Apparently Debra Bowen carefully timed her deauthorization, doing it at
the last possible legal moment to make it impossible for vendors to file
an injunction which would have forced a delay in implementing her
decision.  The timing is crucial because new voting systems (e.g.,
paper-based) will have to be put in place before the primary elections
leading up to the 2008 presidential elections.  This leaves only 6
months to change all the voting systems in a state with 55,000,000
people.  If vendors had filed court injunctions they could have narrowed
this window, which could have forced courts to require California to
continue using the existing machines and procedures.