[E-voting] details about ClearVoting

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Thu Aug 30 13:07:09 IST 2007

Colm: ". . . what you are proposing is essentially pointless."

For sure.  There have been so many problems with scanners in the USA,
and also with the tabulators used to add up the results from the
individual scanners.

Even the paper can be used as an attack vector, and also the type of
pens that are put out.  (Some scanners will only record votes accurately
if certain kinds of pens are used; to disenfranchise all you need to do
is put some of the wrong kinds of pens in some voting booths in some
polling places.  This could easily be done yet there'd be no way you
could ever prove it was deliberate.  And it could also happen as a
genuine accident.)

See also Dan Rather's recent 2-part documentary; the second part deals
with how a lower-grade paper was mysteriously used in the 2000
presidential election--punch cards in FL.  The voting company employees
kept complaining to the company about the malfunctions, but their
concerns were ignored.  The bad paper was used, and then existing
samples of it (and the paperwork about the specs) were destroyed.

The more time goes by, the more attack vectors float to the
surface--complete with smoking guns, destruction of evidence, and/or
puzzling lack of willingness by law enforcement or justice officials to
investigate or prosecute obvious anomalies.

Any election system that--
--increases the number of attack vectors
--or decreases the chances of discovery of errors (whether accidental,
deliberate, or due to incompetence)
--or increases the number of votes that could be affected by a
successful exploit
--or makes the voter do extra steps (e.g. verify a ballot)

--is a bad idea IMO.

I didn't think of these things as necessarily being big problems in the
past.  I've changed my mind as I have kept up with new information
coming to light in the USA and other research.

Catherine