[E-voting] Thar She Blows!

Louise Ferguson louise.ferguson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 11:24:08 GMT 2007

On 29/01/07, Dr J Pelan <J.Pelan at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> As predicted, the UK's Department for Constitutional Affairs is rolling
> out another set of voting pilots including remote e-voting and e-counting.
> It's all under the banner of modernisation, don't you know. Now where have
> we heard that before?
>
> http://www.dca.gov.uk/elections/elections-may-07.pdf

We fired off a press release yesterday afternoon to the usual UK media
suspects in response to this.
http://www.openrightsgroup.org/press-releases/the-open-rights-group-opposes-the-introduction-of-e-voting-into-our-democratic-process/

Blog post at: http://www.openrightsgroup.org/

which got Slashdotted:
http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/29/1926241

Full briefing paper (freshly online yesterday) at:
http://www.openrightsgroup.org/e-voting-main/
(Any comments on this welcome - as always, the drafting was a race against
time)

And for anyone within hitting distance of London, we're running several
events around e-voting on 6 and 8 February (all free), which I'd encourage
people to attend:
http://www.openrightsgroup.org/e-voting-main/e-voting-events/
The start-studded line-up includes members of this very list ;-), so we're
hoping it's going to be a bit of a gathering of the clans.

Following up on your previous points on this issue, John, regarding leading
this work via mainstream consumer, elections etc organisations, it looks
like a major electoral reform organisation will not partner/cooperate on
such a campaign for 'internal reasons' (ahem), not any joy with a major
civil liberties organisation to date either, and A N Other likely
organisation is currently going through internal/financial ructions.
Further, a major consumer organisation has seen its funding plummet 2006-7,
so it's redundancies (and probably amalgamations, if the government has it's
way) all round and probably little to be had in the way of new initiatives
from that quarter for the time being. Ah well.

Louise