[E-voting] Thar She Blows!

Louise Ferguson louise.ferguson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 13:22:02 GMT 2007

On 30/01/07, Dr J Pelan <J.Pelan at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Louise Ferguson wrote:
>
> > Following up on your previous points on this issue, John, regarding
> > leading this work via mainstream consumer, elections etc organisations,
> [snip]
>
> It sadly confirms what I said earlier; "the political and civil
> libertarian atmosphere in the UK has not been particularly receptive to
> e-voting issues" but it is good to see that you tried. That said, it
> doesn't bode very well because if we can't persuade those with insight and
> reputation regarding voting issues, then the general public won't be
> receptive either (although they might respond to simplistic FUD).

I think the media could be our friend here ;-)

On the plus front, it is excellent to see that your group's wishy washy,
> neutral stance on e-voting has been totally abandoned. Hurrah! Where we
> had "e-voting options currently live in the UK are not a particularly good
> idea", we now have;
>
> "The Open Rights Group opposes the introduction of e-voting into our
>   democratic process"
>
> Now you are now an organisation worth supporting because there's a
> concrete stance to align with. This is to be congratulated.

Oh our stance was never neutral ;-). We just had to get the documents
drafted and redrafted and all that. Its only our second press pack, and
second event set...

I'm hoping that the events and the policy paper will provide a good focus,
for the first time in the UK, and that we can build from there.

And do feel free to subscribe to ORG! Subscriber money really does go a long
way (no office, no overheads, it all gets spent on actually doing things).

Louise