[E-voting] Laughing stocks and all that

Aengus Lawlor aengusl at eircom.net
Fri Jul 6 11:41:03 IST 2007

On Thursday, July 05, 2007 9:01 AM [EDT],
Fergal Daly <fergal at esatclear.ie> wrote:

> On 05/07/07, Aengus Lawlor <aengusl at eircom.net> wrote:
>> According to RTÉs "News at One", the Taoiseach that is embarrassed
>> that Ireland won't bring it's voting system into the 21st century,
>> is perfectly happy with a 19th century style 3 month summer break,
>> and 18th century style "supervised voting" in the Senate elections,
>> where Green councilors will have to show their Senate ballots to an
>> approved person to prove that they have voted for the right FF
>> candidates.
>
> Veering off-topic. What is supervised voting? I'm all for our public
> representatives not
> being allowed to vote in secret for anything but I assume this is not
> a proper public vote either,

It's the election of the new Seanad. Article 18, section 5 of Constitution
says "Every election of the elected members of Seanad Éireann shall be held
on the system of proportional representation by means of the single
transferable vote, and by secret postal ballot."

It doesn't say anything about restricting the franchise to elected
councilors, and it definitely doesn't say anything about agreeing to vote in
a prearranged manner.

Aengus