[E-voting] Laughing stocks and all that

Aengus Lawlor aengusl at eircom.net
Fri Jul 6 13:14:50 IST 2007

On Friday, July 06, 2007 7:07 AM [EDT],
Fergal Daly <fergal at esatclear.ie> wrote:

> This is what I find interesting. I do no believe that councillors are
> people(!) They are elected representatives and responsible to their
> constituencies. Mr Gombeen does not have a vote in the Seanad
> elections, his council seat does.

Councilors aren't acting as councilors in the Seanad election, any more than
they are acting as councilors when they vote in Dáil elections. The
Constitutions says nothing about who may vote in Seanad elections (except
for the 6 University seats), the franchise has just been restricted to "safe
hands" in a fairly blatant power grab, so that it could serve as a safe
"retirement home" for TDs who have been rejected by the public (as it giving
the Taoiseach 20% of the seats wasn't enough).

> So (as ugly as it could get in this
> situation) I believe the whole country is entitled to know how how
> each and every _council seat_ voted. Otherwise there is no possibility
> of accountability. The same goes for secret ballots in the Dail (are
> there any?),

Actually, secret ballots in the Dáil might actually make it a more
representative body - "votes" in the Dáil are pretty much a waste of time
these days, as the whip system is so rigidly enforced that even votes on
private members bills are just "going through the motions".

As for accountability? You get a single vote once every 5 years. How many
people are going to hold a councillor "accountable" for how they voted in
the Seanad elections years ago?

Aengus