[E-voting] Fwd: questionnaire e-democracy

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Mon Mar 5 17:13:28 GMT 2007

Fergal,

The first page says, "E-democracy can be defined as the use of
information and communication technologies, above all the Internet, in
the policy-making process and the State-citizen relations in order to
encourage a direct and more active citizen participation in public life
and the decision-making process."

So it is vague as to whether or not it includes online voting.  (Perhaps
it depends on what you said democracy means to you?)

The author's email address is ybreindl at ulb.ac.be

I'll cc her this post so she can see the confusion.  There is so much
naivete and lack of technical knowledge about electronic voting and
internet voting.  It sounds like such a good idea in theory, yet the
risk to democracy is extreme.  Most people have no idea of how risky it
actually is, probably including proponents of "e-democracy".

Catherine