[E-voting] E-voting/e-counting chaos in scotland

cansbro at eircom.net cansbro at eircom.net
Fri May 4 16:18:31 IST 2007

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/6622963.stm

Have a read.  Sounds like they have no idea of the risks that accompany
optical scanning, nor of the need to hand-audit.

"DRS Data & Research Services, which implemented the automated counting
system, admitted it was experiencing problems with the "consolidation" of
the votes.

. . .

"Deputy Scottish Secretary David Cairns said in April: "People should have
confidence to know that if things do go catastrophically wrong, we will
still have the bits of paper and could do a manual recount if needed."

. . .

"The machines check the number of ballot papers, count the clearly-marked
votes and separate those which cannot be read.

The returning officer can then adjudicate on the unclear ballot papers via
a computer screen which can be viewed by all interested parties. "

. . .

"Who is DRS and what is its track record?

DRS has conducted electronic voting for 10 years in countries including
Norway, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Hong Kong and in the London Mayor and
Assembly elections.

The company claims its e-counting technology is 100% accurate but it is
only designed to count clear votes.

Sonya Anderson, head of elections for DRS, said: "The process is taking
longer than anticipated in some of the centres and some returning officers
have decided because of the long wait that the staff and the candidates are
experiencing that they are going to ask staff and candidates to go home
while we resolve the issue."

The electronic counting system was being run at a cost of £4.3m. "

Here at ICTE we've never talked a lot about optical scanning and the
potential/actual problems.  The quote above: "100% accurate but it is only
designed to count clear votes" alludes to just one of the problems--machine
calibration and the many problems that can arise.  And that is just one of
the problems.

Having paper ballots as a backup is only useful when there is a legal
requirement for statistically significant hand recounts.  If the paper
ballots are not counted by hand, or are not hand-counted using a large
enough sample size to identify errors or fraud (and in some cases this
requires 100% sampling), then the paper ballots' existence is meaningless
or worse.

I say potentially worse, because it gives the illusion of security.