[E-voting] E-voting/e-counting chaos in scotland

Dave Madden sares at redbrick.dcu.ie
Fri May 4 21:43:32 IST 2007

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 11:18:31AM -0400, cansbro at eircom.net wrote:
> Here at ICTE we've never talked a lot about optical scanning and the
> potential/actual problems.  The quote above: "100% accurate but it is only
> designed to count clear votes" alludes to just one of the problems--machine
> calibration and the many problems that can arise.  And that is just one of
> the problems.

There was some discussion of optical scanning in the context of what
exactly we mean by VVAT.

Personally I think optical scanning has time on its side. Its problem is
one of the level of accuracy available with current technology, but this
is something that could reasonably be expected to improve over time. So,
while I'd be wary of using this technology now, and while certainly the
right checks need to be available, I don't have any fundamental
objection to opt scan.

Contrast that with paperless DRE systems. The flaw with such
technology -is- fundamental. Incremental engineering improvements
can't overcome DRE's problem. (I'm not considering systems that use
cryptographic verification, but they have other problems IMO.)

Dave