[E-voting] E-voting/e-counting chaos in scotland (fwd)

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Wed May 16 10:22:19 IST 2007

 From the description of the layout-related counting problems (people
using numbers instead of X and vice-versa), perhaps many of these would
not have been spoiled if they had been counted by hand right from the
start.  E.g., an X instead of a 1 would have been clear at least for a
first-preference vote--I don't know what the Scottish rules are
regarding counting votes where the intent was clear.  Same if someone
had used a 1 instead of an X.

Have there been no more recent stories describing the nature of the
spoiled ballots?  Is anyone in the UK looking into this?

Catherine