[E-voting] E-voting/e-counting chaos in scotland (fwd)

Dr J Pelan J.Pelan at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk
Fri May 18 11:57:09 IST 2007

On Wed, 16 May 2007, Louise Ferguson wrote:

> Ballots for e-counting are designed for machine scanning, not for people
> to be able to use easily. Just as different types of marks may be more
> machine-readable than others, different designs may be more or less
> usable than others, *by people*. Machine-reading adds more complications
> to the existing ballot design issue.

I don't agree that machine reading detracts, by necessity, the voters
ability to complete the ballot. Nor would I think it possible to so
clearly lay the blame for spoilt ballots at the door of counting machines,
directly or indirectly. A majority of people have had no problems and it
appears, as it so often does, that it is a lack of voter education that is
the real issue.

A recent commentator remarked along the lines of, "Do you want people that
can't fill in a simple form determining who runs the country?" but that's
beyond the scope of this discussion.

--
John P.