[E-voting] Re: Election counts on Friday

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Mon May 21 12:23:29 IST 2007

I responded earlier, but from a non-subscribed address, so it's stuck
in moderation (or has just died silently), so I append my response
below.

Andrew

I know in Galway you need a ticket. Candidates are given a certain
number each by the returning officers, but generally need these for
their tally-persons. (In Galway parties will need 25+ people running
their tallies.)

The Returning Officer (at least in Galway) will also give out tickets
to others on request - though I've only ever used this when
representing a media outlet, so don't know how difficult it is to
wrangle one as a private individual. Depending on the venue tickets
can be in short supply. In Galway, again, tickets seem more easily
obtained this year than in previous years (perhaps due to the change
in venue). For Galway, call the office of Marian Chambers Higgins at
(091) 562340 or email at GalwayCC at Courts.ie

If it's difficult to get tickets as an individual, it may be possible
to ask for some on behalf of ICTE, as a body interested in the
electoral process and monitoring the paper count, and then distribute
them to interested members in the area.

Access is most difficult during the initial tally. Speaking again
from Galway experience, access without tickets is often allowed
during quiet periods - this has sometimes had the effect that people
with tickets are not allowed re-entry later (or that those guarding
the entrances don't give tickets on exit at times, though later
requiring them). However, it also means that if you're just
interested in seeing some of the work-a-day count process later in
the day/weekend, you should probably be able to do so without a ticket.

Andrew