[E-voting] Re: a new voting system

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Wed May 23 17:27:33 IST 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 03:03:04PM +0100, Joseph Kiniry wrote:
> >>(as also is ClearSoftware's claim).
> >>I don't see what the size of electronic components has to do with it.
> >
> >It has everything to do with it, it's basically the only reason why
> >trustworthy electronic voting is unimplementable, it is incapable of
> >human-level review.
>
> Colm, I strongly disagree with this assertion, as do many expert
> computer scientists and cryptographers, if I am interpreting your
> statements correctly---by "trustworthy electronic voting," I presume
> you mean "trustworthy, verifiable elections operated via electronic
> voting."

Well I regard unverifiable elections an untrustworthy, but I also regard
secrecy as important and consider that part yof the trustworthiness is
that the voter be able to safeguard the secrecy of their intentions
also. I don't see how a voter, faced with an electronic machine, can
verify that their vote is not being recorded in-secret. And I don't see
how that can really change :/

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net