[E-voting] Netherlands news, press release

Margaret McGaley mmcgaley at cs.nuim.ie
Tue Oct 2 17:53:25 IST 2007

Hi folks,

I'd really like to see a press release on this, time is running out to
grab the Irish press's attention for it. I honestly can't afford the
time to write it myself, but here's a very rough draft. Please
consider throwing a couple off minutes at it. Maybe we could get it
sent by lunchtime tomorrow? Any volunteers to take charge of it?

Margaret

[NOT FOR RELEASE]

NEDAP DE-CERTIFIED FOR DUTCH ELECTIONS

The Netherlands is returning to voting with paper and pencil for the
foreseeable future. A commission set up by the Dutch Government late
last year concluded that none of the evoting systems in use there --
including the Nedap system -- were suitable for use in national
elections.  The deputy Minister for the Interior A. Bijleveld has said
that she will accept the committee's advice and ban evoting,
rescinding the law that permits the use of these evoting systems.

The website of Wij Vertrouwen Stemcomputers Niet:
http://www.wijvertrouwenstemcomputersniet.nl/English

Articles in English:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/27/dutch-government-abandons-e-voting-for-re
d-pencil/