[E-voting] Re: meeting with John Gormely

Joseph Kiniry kiniry at acm.org
Mon Oct 8 00:24:34 IST 2007

On 5 Oct, 2007, at 22:55, e-voting-request at lists.stdlib.net wrote:

> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 10:20:37 +0100
> From: Catherine Ansbro <cansbro at eircom.net>
> Subject: Re: [E-voting] (no subject)
> To: Irish Citizens for Trustworthy Evoting <e-voting at lists.stdlib.net>
>
> Definitely ask for a meeting.  From his comments he seems clueless
> (or else feels he must be seen not to be biased).
>
> Have a 1-page fact sheet with irrefutable references to studies,
> CEV report, international studies, etc.
>
> Catherine
>
> Margaret McGaley wrote:
>> The Indo have rehashed that stupid poll from August:
>> http://www.independent.ie/national-news/article1048796.ece?
>> startindex=-1
>>
>> And Gormely has finally said *something* about e-voting. I wonder
>> if we should ask for a meeting?
>> http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/politics/
>> gormley-to-decide-on-evoting-machines-in-own-time-1115831.html
>>
>> Margaret

FWIW, I met John as the Greens were canvasing my neighborhood a week
before the election.  I explained that, while I was a Green party
member in the U.S.A., I was not a voter here in Ireland.

Consequently, they had pretty much instantly decided to move on until
I insisted that I did have something to say to John and explained my
work on e-voting here and in the Netherlands.  John came over and
chatted for a few minutes, expressing interest in my past work and
views on the Irish situation.  I gave him the 2 minute summary (I
covered what you all might expect).  He took my name and address down
and that was the last I heard about that.

So, while I cannot say anything about he and his policies now that
the Green are in government, I can say he was briefed by an expert in
the field and expressed some interest in hearing what I had to say.

Best,
Joe
---
Joseph Kiniry
School of Computer Science and Informatics
UCD CASL
University College Dublin
http://kind.ucd.ie/
http://srg.cs.ucd.ie/