[E-voting] Re: meeting with John Gormely

Paul Lehto lehtolawyer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 21:34:22 IST 2007

I apologize for omitting this link, and if there's any information about
Ireland that would be interesting to know, please send it my way.

This is the link i referenced previously but forgot to include in the
original email.
http://www.thecalifornian.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=3D/20070929/OPINION=
/709290323

Paul

PS  I'd like to say, though it wouldn't really be true that my honest motive
for this email was undisclosed previously, that I'm just looking for an
excuse to visit Ireland again, having been there in 1992 during a summer
trip to europe before entering law school. :)

On 10/11/07, Paul Lehto <lehtolawyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to introduce myself since I just signed onto the list and
> hopefully being fromthe USA it's not a list violation for me to be on this
> list.
>
> I'm an election law attorney and national leader in the effort against
> computerized secret vote counting in the USA.  I got active in 2004 after
> observing a phantom vote being added to the totals from my polling place,
> where I was an attorney observer.  That led to a co-authored scientific
> study with Dr. Jeffrey Hoffman that contains smoking gun evidence of
> electronic irregularities. See
> www.votersunite.org/info/SnohomishElectionFraudInvestigation.pdf  One such
> smoking gun (a rarity when the vote counting evidence is so secret) is th=
at
> the 19 machines specifically pulled out of service because they were
> observed to malfunction by flipping votes and/or freezing up had (in a ve=
ry
> Democratic county and in the closest governor's race in US history) more
> than 50% more votes for the Republican than for the Democratic candidate.
> There are some other astonishing facts for the science-minded at least in
> the study, though few take the time to read these kinds of things it is
> worth the effort in many cases.
>
> The study led to a lawsuit, where I specifically chose to attack the
> legality of the contract to purchase the machines as being "ultra vires" =
or
> beyond the power of the government to agree to, for twelve different
> constitutional and public policy reasons.  See
> www.votersunite.org/info/lehtolawsuit.asp    WIthin 9 months of the
> lawsuit being filed, the county commission voted to get rid of the touch
> screen DREs (Direct Recording Electronic) machines.  That was in January
> 2006.
>
> My co-plaintiff was Jack Wells, who was descended from both a
> REvolutionary War soldier as well as one of the original state senators of
> Washington state.  I didn't know Jack, but he responded to the call, just=
 as
> he did in the Aleutian Islands in WWII.   Jack died on October 1, 2007 af=
ter
> a sudden onset of lung cancer, he was a lifelong non-smoker.  ALso a
> lifelong hero, being termed a "legendary" teacher for 26 years and
> continuing after retirement in the lives of his students.
>
> The lawsuit was ultimately dismissed as moot by the Court of appeals, on
> account that we had won, basically, in that the machines were gone.  This
> was incorrect in that we also asked for a $5 million refund, but that is =
the
> end-game of the system, in this particular county.
>
> This past weekend, we had a breakthrough with 226 organizations at the
> Latino Congreso, the national public policy and politics board for the
> Latino community.  They passed a very strong resolution that I wrote that
> [...]

-- =

Paul R Lehto, Juris Doctor
lehtolawyer at gmail.com