[E-voting] Re: meeting with John Gormely

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Fri Oct 12 01:57:07 IST 2007

Well I don't do such a good job updating on the US situation because
it's just such a big topic--always juicy (good and bad) and multi-faceted.

Mags (Margaret McGaley) was recently looking for current update on the
CA situation.  Perhaps you could fill us all in?  Just today I got this
from Debra Bowen's office:

     Attached please fine the Secretary of State's ES&S AutoMark Public
Report and the ES&S Hearing Agenda regarding the sale of uncertified
voting equipment in California.

I can't upload pdf files here but I have just sent them to Mags
separately.

 If you care to offer a thumbnail-sketch about the USA situation that'd
be "fun" (heh heh).  Seriously I think it would be interest to other
ICTE members--but be clear because from a distance it's not always easy
to catch innuendo, sarcasm etc.  ICTE also has good participation with
some key individuals in Belgium, Netherlands, and other locations.

BBV is doing interesting regular posts on patterns of persistent
corruption right across the USA and including both main parties.  No big
surprises, but these are the same people who want us to trust them to
run elections with black boxes to count the votes.  What with the
ongoing tribunals here I don't see why it's any different--(from the
standpoint of corruption, that is)--but election management is generally
far superior as is our PR-STV voting system.

With our new Green Party Minister who happens to be in charge of things
like elections--I can't tell whether he's saying he's theoretically in
favour of electronic voting due to his coalition partners who were
responsible for developing the system just because he needs to say this
for political reasons, or whether he's really that naive--I would hope
he's not that naive but you never know.  Lots of people (like the
Democracy Commission report) espouse electronic voting in principle
because of how supposedly it would be more inclusive--but generally
folks with this point of view are completely uninformed of the
implications (i.e. increase in potential attack vectors and little or no
chance of detection).

I hope ICTE puts together a delegation to meet with John Gormley.  In
2004 it was hard selling Ciaran Cuffe (Green Party TD who was on the
relevant committee on this issue at the time).  I think at least
initially he thought it was a kind of irrational concern on the part of
tinfoil hat fringe elements--just like the government tried to
pretend.   I could never tell for sure how deeply he personally came to
understand the issue, though the Green Party as a whole seemed to feel
strongly about it.  I  guess in a nutshell at that time I felt the party
membership was leading on this issue more than the party leaders.  Since
I left the Green Party over 2 yrs ago I have no idea what the current
state of play is.  There are undoubtedly many changes since when I was
involved so my perspective is surely very out of date.

Catherine