[E-voting] Greens' boss saves voting machines from dump

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Mon Oct 15 01:27:21 IST 2007

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 10:41:05PM +0200, David GLAUDE (PourEVA) wrote:
> Can someone please explain?

The ministers in the green party are essentially in way over their heads
and simply lack the bottle to actually do anything which would upset
their coalition masters - Fianna Fail.

Still, I don't think we're seeing much more than lip-service, and at the
very least the statements from the Minister do talk about the need for
VVAT. But it is very dissappointing to see such a blatant about-face and
nonsensical position from the new Minister on the matter.  As we're all
well aware, it's a patently stupid position, and one which will only
waste more money, but that seems to be way politics functions (I won't
say "works") in Ireland. In the meantime, I still think there is
essentially zero liklihood of a government re-introducing e-voting on
any scale.

At some point in the future, there might come a time when enough bad
polls for the greens have accumulated, or Fianna Fail commit some
political act so grevious (I guess it's possible that they might have a
few toddlers killed or something) that the dynamics of Government
require the Greens to win themselves an issue merely to assert relevancy
(it's been done in the past, a national sports stadium was abandonded in
similar circumstances), and E-voting would be somewhere on the shopping
list. But apart from that, I personally can't see much hope of it being
abandoned officially.

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net