[E-voting] The Myth of Verified Voting: How GOP strategists & J. Abramoff transformed America's elections and the reform movement itself

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Sat Apr 12 19:08:08 IST 2008

http://www.democracyfornewhampshire.com/node/view/5668

    The Myth of Verified Voting: How GOP strategists & J. Abramoff
    transformed America's elections and the reform movement itself

*BY Nancy Tobi*

*/For the published version of this article and more about elections in
21st century America, read the newly released_ Loser Take All
<http://www.amazon.com/Loser-Take-All-Subversion-Democracy/dp/0978843142/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207915264&sr=1-1>_,
edited by Mark Crispin Miller./*

*The Myth of Verified Voting: How GOP strategists and Jack Abramoff
transformed America’s elections and the election reform movement itself*

*K Street Lobbyists and Election Reform*

In 1995, House Majority Leader Tom DeLay and Republican strategist
Grover Norquist launched the “K Street Project.” (i) Named for the
Capital Hill street housing many lobbying firms, the Project gave
lobbyists direct access to Washington lawmakers through weekly policy
and strategy meetings. The most infamous K Street lobbyist was Jack
Abramoff, who worked for the firm Greenberg Traurig. Abramoff, now in
prison, took money from his American Indian tribe clients, and laundered
it to Congressional Representatives in return for legislative and policy
favors aligned with the Project’s political agenda.

But this was not just any money laundering enterprise. Abramoff’s dry
cleaner was converting money to election fraud.

<more>

[Please read *the entire article*. It is eye-opening and of importance
to how we understand Irish election systems. In fact the
chain-of-custody issue is the one area that, to my knowledge, has never
been adequately addressed in relation to our elections here in Ireland.