[E-voting] Re: [European-evoting] Interesting ....

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Mon Jan 21 15:58:17 GMT 2008

Good points, John.  It's important to get the facts first, before
jumping to conclusions based on partial information.

To this I will add that for perhaps the first time, people on the ground
are looking at the chain of custody of the ballots in a primary
election.  What they are finding isn't pretty:

Boxes arriving at the counting centre with big slits in them
Boxes with "seals" that don't seal--that can be peeled off and reapplied
like post-it notes
Boxes with crumpled, damaged "seals"
Boxes where you can remove the ballots out of the bottom, leaving the
"seal" untouched (the bottom has no "seal" at all)
Boxes that have been used & reused and have multiple old labels and "seals"
Boxes that are supposed (by law) to be transported by state troopers,
but in fact, year after year, are transported by "Hoppy" and
"Butch"--and they don't even their real names.
Boxes that are supposed to go directly from the secure local polling
stations to the central location for the recount, are driven instead to
a mysterious rural crossroads rendezvous, at which, after a quick
conversation, both parties drive off in different directions, aware that
they are being videotapes
The few boxes that are metal can probably have the "seal" peeled off
even more easily than the cardboard boxes
The formerly cooperative Secretary of State and other official in charge
of the chain of custody of the ballots announce one schedule and
protocol, then get very defensive and obstructive when observers want to
observe (which they are legally allowed to do), and then the procedures
are suddenly changed and ballots are left in an unsecured room instead
of the secured vault that observers were originally shown

And I'm sure I'm omitting lots of gory details.  (Hints at connections
to Boston mafia, which is quite close to NH and known to operate there. . .)
Oh yes, and all the state's voting machines--every one--is controlled,
programmed, Logic &Accuracy tested (lip service), and maintained by one
company, LHS associates.  That includes swapping in new memory cards in
the middle of a live election.

It is not good, folks.  And NH is supposed to be really "clean" compared
to other places.

Have a look for yourselves at this thread and some of the threads here:
http://www.bbvforums.org/forums/messages/1954/1954.html?1200929899

* And by the way, the big loophole in our own Irish voting system also
happens to be the ballot transport stage.  It is supposed to be taken by
Gardai.  However we should be pressing for the possibility of candidates
or their observers to ride along.  There is no reason the Gardai should
be given unsupervised access to ballot boxes. *   This is not to accuse
any Gardai of wrongdoing.  It's just that this leap of faith should not
be required at any stage of an election system.  It is asking for problems.

Catherine