[E-voting] Dutch ban voting computers over eavesdropping fear

Michael McMahon Michael.McMahon at Sun.COM
Thu May 22 10:54:21 IST 2008

Aengus Lawlor wrote:
> IT News website The Register is reporting that the Dutch Government has banned electronic voting computers from future elections.
>
> They quote the Ministry of Internal Affairs as saying that the development of safer voting computers has "insufficient added value over voting by paper and pencil".
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/20/dutch_ban_on_voting_computers/
>
> Aengus

It was reported on RTE's aertel last night, but the report is gone now.
It said something about
the DoE being aware of the Dutch decision, and the use of the Irish
machines still being under review.

This has to be a serious blow to Nedap, and to the use of DREs generally
(as a result of the Dutch research
into information leakage via electro-magnetic fields).

In principle, it ought to be the same for scanning devices also, and I
imagine that most VVPAT systems that use
scanners will have the same problem, but it's worth pointing out that
some systems (such as Pret a Voter)
wouldn't have this problem because the information that gets scanned,
goes into the public domain anyway, and therefore
secrecy isn't compromised by this information leakage.

- Michael.