[E-voting] Keep it free - Friday, May 1st

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Thu Feb 19 23:26:56 GMT 2009

For the record, it was 2 wonderful cakes :-P

Maybe we should have 3 this time to make it newsworthy (and to be sure
there is enough for the media) . . . .

Great idea to get together again to celebrate.  We should also have a
press release & handouts that summarize what we now know know about the
proposed Irish e-voting system that was not publicly known at the time
this all got started.

It's a good time for a public/media reminder.  It would be no harm to
provide a bullet list of key facts and figures--

(e.g., that the commission discovered the software wouldn't count
accurately in certain conditions.  that lots of hardware changes (how
many?) would be necessary.  that no end-to-end testing or hacking was
ever done.  that election officials didn't report truthfully about the
pilot projects at the time.  that Joe McCarthy's FOI requests were
needed to bring crucial facts to light.  about the companies that did
the business (one of which no longer exists I believe).  how much money
was spent on a PR campaign.  how much was spent on storage.  total cost
of the whole fiasco (including costs of the CEV & the two reports).
etc. etc. etc.

A list like this would be helpful for folks in other countries too.

Catherine