[E-voting] Keep it free - Friday, May 1st

A.J.Delaney at brighton.ac.uk A.J.Delaney at brighton.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 10:20:25 GMT 2009

Fergal,
On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 09:20 +0000, Fergal Daly wrote:
> Although a get together sounds good, I can't help wondering how it
> would look to be publicising it. I think we mad look
> mad/lonely/obsessed. I think the 5 year date is good for publicising
> and the get-together is a good idea too. I'm just not sure that
> publicisiing the get-together is great...
Personally I think it shows the power of the 'net.  Given a well run
mailing-list (i.e. no spam), it's very cheap for interested citizens to
engage on a single-issue over multiple Dail terms.

This is different from previous single-issue campaigns which relied on
citizens actively turning up, regularly, at a place and time in the real
world.

But in answer to your question: mad - possibly, my wife would agree.
But then again I'm a lecturer and a researcher.  Most people regard
their lecturers as mad.  Lonely - certainly not.  A meeting including
the press might show that you don't have to be lonely to consider a
single-issue over a long time.  Obsessed - hmmmm....  I don't think so.
I have a fundamental belief that untrustworthy voting endangers
democracy.  But I've probably sent 10s of messages to this list, which
works out at about one or two a month over 5 years.  I don't think that
implies obsession.

I know others on this list are in similar positions.  They're not mad,
but highly qualified engineers.  They're not lonely, some are mothers
(I'm a dad), some are grandmothers and most have a social life.  And
we're not obsessed.  But this is an issue that requires serious
consideration.

We're a group of citizens who achieve a high-level of transparency.
Even our planning and press-releases are composed in the open.  We've
collaborated about a single-issue over multiple years with considerable
success.  Our longitudinal collaboration means that we don't need to
pull stunts to get publicity as we're generally engaged in all the
constructive process we can be.  Furthermore, we've done it all at
minimal cost (It cost me bus fare into Kildare street - twice).
Engagement with the press might show others that they can use our
template for their single-issue campaigns.

--
Aidan