[E-voting] Keep it free - Friday, May 1st

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Fri Feb 20 16:40:48 GMT 2009

2009/2/20  <A.J.Delaney at brighton.ac.uk>:
> Fergal,
> On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 09:20 +0000, Fergal Daly wrote:
>> Although a get together sounds good, I can't help wondering how it
>> would look to be publicising it. I think we mad look
>> mad/lonely/obsessed. I think the 5 year date is good for publicising
>> and the get-together is a good idea too. I'm just not sure that
>> publicisiing the get-together is great...
> Personally I think it shows the power of the 'net.  Given a well run
> mailing-list (i.e. no spam), it's very cheap for interested citizens to
> engage on a single-issue over multiple Dail terms.
>
> This is different from previous single-issue campaigns which relied on
> citizens actively turning up, regularly, at a place and time in the real
> world.
>
> But in answer to your question: mad - possibly, my wife would agree.
> But then again I'm a lecturer and a researcher.  Most people regard
> their lecturers as mad.  Lonely - certainly not.  A meeting including
> the press might show that you don't have to be lonely to consider a
> single-issue over a long time.  Obsessed - hmmmm....  I don't think so.
> I have a fundamental belief that untrustworthy voting endangers
> democracy.  But I've probably sent 10s of messages to this list, which
> works out at about one or two a month over 5 years.  I don't think that
> implies obsession.
>
> I know others on this list are in similar positions.  They're not mad,
> but highly qualified engineers.  They're not lonely, some are mothers
> (I'm a dad), some are grandmothers and most have a social life.  And
> we're not obsessed.  But this is an issue that requires serious
> consideration.

I didn't say anyone was mad, lonely or obsessed, I'm just pointing out
how we might appear to the average punter who never really understood
the issue. Depending on how it's done we could easily come across as
gloating over something we "won" 5 years ago. "Did they not find
anything better to do in the last 5 years?"